Recently I have engaged in a number of conversations with people on what I think is the future of marketing. For a long time I have had the opinion that people should stop marketing the way they did 8+ years ago (Direct mailings etc) because they are dead. I really honestly think people do ‘old school’ marketing because they don’t know any better and marketing has got too technical for them (Look for my next post in a few days).
Here’s something I came across the other day that I think sums up a large part of my view on marketing today. Firstly, I don’t often read ‘marketing emails’ I get, especially emails that have the word ‘optimize’ in the subject line, but I read this one from Influence Interactive.
“Traditional marketing has become a thing of the past and digital marketing has taken the reins of corporate marketing strategies.
The problem is that more than 80% of CMOs also report that they don’t know how to use digital data to create an interactive strategy to engage visitors and strengthen customer relationships.
Creating an effective digital strategy means utilizing the entire digital landscape, from outward facing efforts like Paid Search, Display Media, SEO, Social, and UX driven development, to internal business management enhancements like CRM and Lead Generation strategies.
We understand the importance of data and how it can help grow your business. That’s why we incorporate data into every action, from strategy to implementation to analysis, creating success you can measure.”
So what’s key to marketing today and the near future:
- Digital, Digital, Digital
- CMOs need to learn about digital or become obsolete
- We all think about engaging prospects with marketing, but strengthening customer relationships with the existing is just as important
- Exceptional User Experience, the world expects it!
- Measure, Mesaure, Measure and Integrate, Integrate, Integrate – Visibility and data is so powerful. Make sure your digital strategy isn’t blind!